Monday, May 31, 2010

perhaps i should go read a novel...

Since I've started this blog I have repeatedly contemplated what in the heck I'm doing here, why are all these blogs here?

First off, everybody believes that what is happening in their own mind, their own thoughts, is very important. Since everybody is arrogant and believes they must tell their thoughts to everybody else, everybody is now a publisher. There are blogs, and podcasts, and Twitter, and web pages, and...

You get the idea. But in the past an individual would have to write thousands of pages and then convince a publisher to actually publish whatever had been written. In the old system there were obviously fewer things published because more people were required to approve, or encourage, the content.
It seems to me that there was less crap to wade through before everyone became a publisher... I believe the thoughts of some individuals are more "important" than the thoughts of many others. Now, I didn't say anything about those individual's lives, or their wealth, or anything. I'm just saying that most of what is written is not useful to people other than the author.

So there are millions of irrelevant and basically useless blogs out there that primarily serve the purpose of bolstering the author's ego and alleviating that person's boredom. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment